Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Discovering the Rebelution

Read this quote: "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Good. Now read it again, but this time read it slowly. And again. And one more time. Now what does this even mean??? I'd be lying if I said I didn't read this quote 6 times before I understood what it was saying. Once you do understand it's meaning it is inspiring. How often do we hold on to things that we know won't last?And it can be anything. Pride, anger, bad relationships, or material items. Sometimes we don't want to let go of these things because we think we will look weak without them. For example, if people see you cry they might figure out that you don't have it all together all the time(this comes from experience). Or if you're not angry every second people might trample over you and take advantage of you. You may be hanging out,or going out, with someone who is a bad influence and you know it but they're "cool" and you don't want to make them mad. But let me ask you something. What's it costing you? I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about the emotional, mental, spirtitual, and even physical toll its taking on you.
I recently read the book Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. It is an incredible book that is redefining a generation and a culture. It is about the "Rebelution". The twin authors define the Rebelution as "a teenage rebellion against low expectations". It is about doing hard things for God. Society underestimates teenagers. They expect us to be a bunch of partying, immature, lazy kids stuck between childhood and adulthood. This book, and I, beg to differ though. Teens have SO much potential for doing amazing things. We are stronger than we think and God has shown that countless times. A "rebelutionary" is also someone who has a holy ambition. There is something that they feel pulling on their heart. It might be an issue like modern slavery, AIDS, or world hunger. It might also be going on a missions trip, travelling, or becoming more Christ-like. In every case, a rebelutionary defies pop culture and seeks out excellence in whatever they do. I have recently been given a holy ambition of going to Israel. I want to see the places that Jesus and the disciples walked. I want to learn where my faith came from, and I want it to give me greater insight into who God is and how awesome he is. Have you been given a holy ambition? If yes, pursue it will all your heart and don't be afraid of failure. If not, ask God what it is. Figure out what problems/issues affect you. It is time to be a generation of history-makers and world-changers.

No comments:

Post a Comment